Wednesday 5 June 2013

Mintage: Recent Acquisitions from Beyond Retrooooooo!

Now, I am not a huge fan of the London "vintage" shopping scene. Especially when most of the items that are considered "vintage" and are commanding a premium look like they have somehow recirculated themselves from my OWN childhood Goodwill donations to Brick Lane.



Dude - I used to wear this sh!t fo' realz. Like.... unironically... what does that even mean!?!?


Like I mentioned, or maybe I didn't, I like Black Out II in Covent Garden. I had first heard of the shop from a Paloma Faith interview. I kinda dig her so that was good enough for me to ch-check it out.

I have made a few purchases from Black Out II - to be shown at a later date because, um, the post is about Beyond Retro ... or something.

Anyways, somewhere, somehow, I was in the neighborhood of the Brick Lane adjacent Beyond Retro and felt particularly inspired.

Trouble is with places like that, in locations like that, is that they KNOW what they got. They KNOW. They have the internet... I am a firm believe that there is no way you're going to score.

And I NEED to score these days. I need a win. I need to feel like I felt that time I scored a vintage letterman sweater and vintage silk navy flight suit at the JetRag $dollar$ sale.... El Cheapo de Mayo.

And then I did. I scored. I dun good. First I found an ace 60s beaded cream-coloured gown that would pretty much be the most amazing wedding dress ever - but since it ain't time for that yet, I had to tag and release... It was only 80 quid and looked to fit a UK 12 so if anyone's looking for one it was gorgeous and in  solid condition. Next I found a yellow terrycloth beach cover up dress of indeterminate age as I totally forgot what the name on the label was. It tempted me something good for £25 but the elastic on the sleeves was done for and I haven't quite committed my life to learning how to sew yet - though I am hoping to fulfill that ambition soon (::Looks up at dusty guitar in the corner...::)

Ok, ok, enough of the teasin', what about das pleasin'???

So first things first, actually, in order of fabulousness...

I nabbed this pretty cotton scarf for £5... I thought it would be an instantly prettifying accessory:

Vintage Floral Cotton Scarf

Next up to bat is a deadstock, with tags, skirt that seems to be made from a pastel plaid cheesecloth...

Vintage Skirt Deadstock

Shazaam! Perfect fit! Perfect condition! Smellin' so fresh and so clean clean. £14.

Vintage Skirt Deadstock

And now the boom shama lama ding dong catch of the day... Context: So one of my bestest best friends is getting married in LA in July and I have been having nightmares and heart palpitations over what to wear. The "theme" and I use that loosely cuz we are too cool for themes... Just kidding. I have themed pajamas per  night of the week.... Anyways, the theme is Gatsby-esque. And she has been planning this since we were little squids - it just happens to finally be happening in the same year of the movie (Damn You Luhhhhrrrrmmmaaannnnnn!). I originally bought / had sent to LA a dress from Modcloth:

ModCloth Either Oar Dress Mod Cloth

Ah, now that I am looking at it again, I just might keep it. I love it - but the momz says it's not evening wedding-appropriate.... But it's sooo cute. Ok, well, at Beyond Retro, I found this:

Vintage Polka Dot Dress 1930s

I think it reads a bit 90s in this photo due to my wonky pitcha-takin' but check the details below... The dress fits like a glove and is actually ankle length despite appearances:

Vintage Polka Dot Dress 1930s

Right? I think it can go late-20s / 30s... either way, it's handmade and ::drumroll:: £25!!....

Like so:


Momz is already working on learning to do the hair. I found some decent tutorials to get a nice wave but have yet been brave enough to actually try it!

Ta-dah! That's all folkz!

PSYCH!

Totally kidding.. there's one more.... he he he he he.

Get ready for sensory overload:

Vintage California Scarf

Vintage California Scarf Knotts Berry Farm Buena Park

Vintage California Scarf San Francisco

Vintage California Scarf Dodger Stadium Palm Springs

At the bottom of the scarf bin I found this AMAZING treasure. Who'dathunkit? In the bin in Beyond Retro in Brick Lane? £4! I might want to frame it actually. It's spotless and amazing.

Which reminds me... Stop spending money!!!

Credits: ModClothFashion SenoritaF As In Frank Vintage

No comments:

Post a Comment