Saturday 28 September 2013

Ain't No Pity in the Big Dumb City, aka I Got Hit By A Car.... And All I Got Was This Amazing Embroidery!

So, it has been forever and a day since I wrote anything on this ol' online expression platform o' mine. Usually this has been for a good reason because I was too busy living it up and setting this town en fuego... har har har.

Some of my recent adventures:

Soundgarden show, Black Dahlia Murder show, Macklemore show, Portuguese weekend in 16th century estate, Triathlon (or Un-athlon since I only did the cycling ha lazy lazy fatness), and some other new hobbies which are helping turning me into the bloggeriest blogger that ever bloggered.... I finally got around to starting up sewing and added embroidery on just for shizzles and giggles.



But in recent days I have had good reason to stay put and immobile - doctor's orders!

That's right... On Thursday AM, I was meant to be at the office c. 7am and so left early and was enjoying the fairly uncrowded roads and cool air of a morning cycle commute when right before the Old Street Roundabout a real go-getter swerved to cut me off and ended up sideswiping me on my right side. Instead of launching me onto the pavement, the ol' luck o' the Gigi meant that SOMEHOW (and I don't know how because I kinda draw a blank at this point) I was launched into the middle of traffic... The next thing I recall is staring at a bunch of cars, not being able to tell if they were coming at me, and trying to spring out of the way. But my legs were all tangled in my little green bike-cycle and I just couldn't go anywhere. Then a kind-face cyclist came and helped pull me to safety. Also - at some point my shoe had flown off.

The driver pulled over about 50 feet down the road and came back over towards me to.... blame me for the incident. So there I was shaking and startled and this guy was blaming me for him hitting me. Unbelievable. He asked if I wanted him to take me to hospital - obviously said no since I was just out of my mind in shock and he left - without exchanging any details - which is a criminal offence in the UK... btw.

I got on the phone with the Mr. Bear and told him what had happened, that I was ok.... then in a fit of "OMG I am actually rather embarrassed by this..." I got back on my bike, audibly groaning with each push. Within 2 seconds I looked down and saw blood coming through my pants and then I realised the full severity of what had happened. So much pain came flooding in.

Anyways, I went online once I made it to the office (via cab after refusing to let anyone take me to the hospital)... and tried to Google around any advice... So I guess I wanted to write this post to offer up some things I have learned that I wish I would have done...

I call this bit:

Congratulations... You've been hit by a f*cking car.

1. Get out of the street.

2. I know it's life-ruiningly frightening but try to catch the license plate - especially if the douche doesn't stop.

3. If the douche does stop, and is not a douche, this will go much easier. Exchange details. Make sure you at least get license plate and name from the driver.

4. If the douche does stop, and is a douche, try to keep your wits about you and focus on getting that license plate number. Let them bullcrap you all they want but just get those digits. A camera works a treat as well though I think a subtle way of collecting data is safest and least likely to arouse ire from the driver.

5. Go to the hospital. Hail a cab, call a friend, just go. Work will be there when you are done. I went straight to the office and worked the whole day. Nothing dire happened because I waited but it's always best to go as soon as possible - especially as there is a portion of the criminal report that asks for this info and helps police assess the severity.

6. Go to the police. Go within 24 hours. I went within 28 hours as I was trying to not be a "baby" and was repeatedly told that I was supposed to go within 24 hours. But either way... just make sure you go and file a report. If the driver did not give you their info then that is a criminal report that needs to be filed and not just incident.

7. Go get a butt-ton of ice cream and some sweet crafting mags....

LONG POST! TL;DR? Here's the payoff...

Since being couch-ridden I have been able to work on this little puppy....


Not to be confused with an amazing embroidery version of Tim Burton's Blue Girl...


Here's another little ditty that I did, based on Sublime Stitching's patterns:


Yay for bed-ridden handicrafts!

Source: tumblr

No comments:

Post a Comment