Wednesday 22 May 2013

Mintage: The Great Jean Revue... er, Review!

I love me some denim. Maybe you've heard? Yea, I did triple denim... in the office... I'm going for quadruple next time.


BOO YAH!

Anyways - back to the point...

I am now the proud (and broke) owner of a sh!t ton of repro jeans.

I have (in order of poi-chase... er, purchase):

1. Three pairs of GAP High Waist Skinny Jeans (2 Black, 1 Blue)
2. Freddie's of Pinewood Classics
3. Freddie's of Pinewood 1940s Work Pants
4. Bernie Dexter Siren Capris in Black Denim
5. Bernie Dexter Siren Capris in Blue Denim
6. Bernie Dexter Skinny Dungaree High Waist in Black Denim
7. Vivien of Holloway 1950s Jeans in Black Denim

Whew... "Ouch" said me wallet!

I will do a proper review later with photos of my fine denim-clad azz but for now the story is:

1. Pic Unavailable - These puppies sold out fast because their reputation preceded the quality of this batch!

Bust the zipper out on me ol' Blackies. Good thing I had a spare pair. These fit great... however, the black denim fades to a Salvation Army tinge after the FIRST wash... looks more vintage than I'd like if you catch my drift! The black denim was much thicker and therefore flattering. I wore the blue jeans once but the fit on those was so horrid... the thinness of the denim paired with the thickness of the waist band gave the worst silhouette. Spit! Gross! Givin' me the Horsey Sauce Blues!

2. Freddie's Classics. Had to go up a size in these from the 1940s Work Pants because ain't no way that was gonna happen. Ah the fond memories of bathroom adventures when these were yet to be properly broken in... shudder. I really liked these at first - in the dressing room at Camden market. Buuuttttt.... uuuggghh. I have since decided the denim is a smidge to thick and the cut a smidge too wide for someone of my thigh-ular proportions. It just... was.... :: Little Mermaid gasp - sigh:: stumpy. Such an absolute shame since in my mind Freddie's has by far the best quality denim on the scene... Maybe I should give the New Jeanies a go??? So in the end I took the scissors to these and made them into shorts... I think they work ok... especially because I was able to choose the length... which is a whole other post about how impossible it is for us chubby-legged lassies to get some retro shorts that aren't hotpants!


3. Freddie's 1940s Work Pants. These! They are so the goods. The fit is incredible and makes my legs look miiiiiiles long and my waist so fly (or waspy?!?! boom! puns!). But seriously. These are a great jean and I can't imagine them not looking good on anyone. Though, disclaimer, I won't wear these without some chunky-azz platforms for extra leg-lengthening... which left a HUGE void in my life since I can't seem to manage wearing heels between the hours of "sober" and "buzzed"... so I needed a pair of casual denim that wasn't stumpy!


4. That's when I went to What Katie Did and snagged me first pair of Bernie's (which I initially wrote about in my Mintage Spending Spree post). These were the Black Denims, size Rio Grande (which will be my stage name from now on - obvs!). These fit amazing. These seriously caused a man to honk and give the boyfriend a thumbs up as we were walking down the street... hahahahahahah. It's as if all those years of shite denim lead up to this moment. These jeans were the reason I ate all those cheeseburgers and ditched soccer practice. So that my curves could be resplendent in Bernie Dexter jeans... Alas, just as all love stories come to a horrifying end (or maybe just Love Story... ugh the worst)... I am having some ishies with my babies. One of the back darts is coming undone (Mind you there are only 2 months old) and the front seem is pulling... Obviously not devastating but I get weirdly obsessed with little imperfections and so have focused on and blown these issues out of proportion... sad face.


5. Then bought the Bernie's in Blue Denim, which are available in the UK through Kittenish Behaviour and at £100, vs £120 at WKD. These are also great though aren't as thick as the black denim... which is a bit boo. And also! The way that it's just the zipper and no button! Word to the wise... this happened to a friend of mine.. ahem!.... make sure they are zipped up right and maybe use a safety pin or else yo bare azz will be walking through the airport.... SHAME.


6. Woops I lied. I actually "technically" bought the Skinny Dungarees before the Blue Siren Capris.... alas, they are sitting in LA until I collect them in July because my momz refused to spot me $200 for shipping.... GAWD MAWM WHY>!>!>!> jk.... Hoping those are awesome. Fingers crossed.



7. Now about my most recent acquisition... VoH 1950's Jeans... and finally! Some awesome casual jeans that aren't so va-va-voom as the Siren Capris but still look good with little tomboy shoesies. I lovelovelovelove them... Though there were some intial issues with the purchase... first was told the wrong size, then bought the wrong size and then when I got home I noticed the seam on the pocket was coming out so had to bike out to the shop and return them and then bought the right size online - whew. So as I sit wearing them now everything is lovely... will comment on durability a bit later as this is my first day wearing them! And then just want to add in the most roundabout non-controversial way possible... I know I am just still used to American levels of customer service.... and I can admit that I am the most socially awkward and sweaty person ever so I take full responsibility for that.... SO I am hoping I just had some off experiences! Let's put it that way! Here's hoping because I love the jeans and hope to score the sombrero skirt as well! Wow I just b*tched out of that hard. Man up, Horsey Sauce!



That's that.

Leave a comment or email me at TheYearOfGigi at Gmail.com if any questions on sizing!!

Credits: Bernie DexterVivien of HollowayFreddie's of Pinewood

No comments:

Post a Comment