Sunday 17 March 2013

Fresh Ink!: Or, How My Moms Is Like Totes Gonna KILL Me

So... I officially have two tattoos now - Given that it doesn't up and R-U-N-O-F-T in the middle of the night...

This fact means many things to me. One being that it's solid proof that I wasn't just really wasted when I got my piggly wiggly ink:

John Steinbeck Pigasus Body by Burger

That's actually "Pigasus" - John Steinbeck's signature mascot. I promise I was fairly sober when I got this one - and that it has tons of layers of meaning behind it but I think that is for a later, more well thought out and coherent post as it touches on things very dear to me!

So onto the fresh ink (that's still smarting a bit):

Bukowski Tattoo The Family Business London The Post Office In The Morning It Was Morning and I Was Still Alive

Another literary shout-out. This time to the great and damaged Charles Bukowski. The quote is "In the morning it was morning and I was still alive" (I think that's right... since getting the tat I have been too scared to Google again in case I got it all wrong - whatevs.)

I love this line from Post Office. It's just so... raw and uplifting in the least Precious Moments way possible. When the novel closes at this line... followed by one more but I won't give it all away!... it just hits you in all the right places... it's very "holy crap - he's right". (I'm so eloquent on a Sunday night.)

So I got this done by Ricky at The Family Business which is a great tattoo parlour that comes very highly recommended from just about everybody you ask.

When I first went for the consultation I was lucky that I got to have it on the same day as a walk-in as that joint is bizzzzzy. I explained what I wanted to the ceaselessly helpful front-desk dude (not sure the official title!) and he got Ricky over so that we could chat it through in more detail.

I couldn't decide how I wanted the font. I toyed with the idea of getting it in a kind of retro banner looking thing but given my noodle arms that wasn't going to work. So we decided that we should try and have a go at it in the author's handwriting. Since there are quite a few of Buk's handwriting samples easily available online all we had to do was look at a few before Ricky was able to get the lettering right for the tat - what a sport! I know it's not some glorious huge piece but to me it was very important to get it just right and he really did. Not to mention his EXCELLENT bedside manner. He was so lovely to chat to and made me so comfortable even as I was having a needle dragged through my sensitive spots! He was so good I think I only muttered the eff bomb once... that's pretty good for being stone cold sober at 5pm on a Sunday.

Now onto the next one... Am thinking some flowers in a shoulder corsage or a Las Vegas sign done in a pin striping style on my back... does any of that sound sane? Methinks it will require a little bit more thought before making the full commitment.

Bonus: This is what you get when you Google "funny precious moments kids"... I don't know if this is just an American thing but I think it's funny....:

Hilarious.


Credits: Zeitgeist in a Petiole

No comments:

Post a Comment